Brian K. Skidmore
Brian has more than 25 years experience in general and commercial litigation. Brian's primary areas of legal practice include real estate law, probate law, employment law, bankruptcy law, commercial debt restructuring and loan workout law, business law and corporate law and complex business and civil litigation.
Brian is a member of the Akron Bar Association and its bankruptcy and commercial law section. Brian also is a member of the Medina Bar Association. He is currently a member of the Ohio State Bar Association and its Intellectual Property, Labor & Employment Law Sections. Brian is also a member of the Ohio Trial Lawyers Association and its Employment Law Section. Brian has received a performance rating "B" (from high to very high legal ability rating) and "V" (very high ethical standards rating) from Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory established by confidential opinions from members of the Bar.
Brian was admitted to practice law in the State of Ohio and the U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio in 1984; the U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit Court 2001; U.S. Supreme Court 2002; and the U.S. Tax Court 1989.
Brian is a graduate of Mount Union College (B.A., 1979), with a concentration in accounting and tax. Brian is a graduate of the University of Tennessee (M.A.C.C., 1981), with a concentration in accounting and tax. Brian is a graduate of Wake Forest University School of Law (J.D., 1984). Prior to entering the legal profession, Brian gained several years of business, accounting and tax experience by working for a big 8 accounting firm.
Ernst & Whinney, Cleveland, Ohio
Senior Tax Consultant, 1984 - 1987
Corporate income tax compliance, planning and provision for financial reporting purposes; evaluation of client construction contracts for tax deferral of income under completed contract method of accounting.
Brian coaches youth baseball in the Medina YMCA league. Brian and his wife Ellie have a son, Kyle, and reside in Medina, Ohio.
Representative litigation experience includes:
- Counsel on behalf of municipal corporation/owner/lessor of regulated steam utility in Chapter 11 Bankruptcy filed by operator/lessee in contested lease assumption, plan confirmation and claims resolution proceedings, including related adversary proceedings. Obtained full recovery of lease defaults in the amount of $2.5 million.
- Successful defense of municipal corporation against claims of downtown real estate developer for breach of contract, promissory estoppel, inverse condemnation and 42 U.S.C. §1983 claims. Case dismissed.
- Representation of multiple plaintiffs in prosecution of age-discrimination claims against multi-national defendant/employer before Ohio Civil Rights Commission, EEOC and U.S. District Court. Substantial settlement negotiated before trial.
- Representation of plaintiffs in multiple lawsuits involving “freeze-out” of minority shareholders from closely held corporations. Settlements substantially exceeded initial offer in each case.
- Represented defendant/private owner of medical/surgical office building in eminent domain action by Ohio Dept. of Transportation. Settlement substantially exceeded initial offer.
- Successfully litigated termination of franchisee’s rights for failure to pay royalties and make financial reporting and violations of nondisclosure and non-compete agreements on behalf of franchisor.
- Successful defense of real estate developer in mortgage fraud litigation. Case resolved for nominal settlement amount.
Representative transactional experience includes:
- Negotiation and preparation of software development, licensing, maintenance and service agreements on behalf of web-based software and program developer with multinational telecommunications company.
- Document preparation for reorganization of software development company and development of various operating, employment and confidentiality agreements.
- Reorganization and development of franchise system for 30-store, regional fast food business including franchise, store purchase and related agreements as well as disclosure documents required under State and Federal Law.
- Representation of out-of-state real estate developer in negotiation of Memorandum of Understanding with local municipal corporation for urban redevelopment project.
- Representation of real estate developer in formation of multiple-member limited liability company and negotiation of operating agreement and initial capital contributions for the acquisition and development of Florida real estate.
- Negotiated and prepared various asset and stock purchase agreements.
Skidmore & Associates provides legal services for clients in Akron, Barberton, Bath, Canal Fulton, Canton, Copley, Cuyahoga Falls, Fairlawn, Green, Hudson, Jackson Twp., Lakemore, Macedonia, Massillon, North Canton, Norton, Peninsula, Springfield Twp., Stow, Twinsburg, Wadsworth, Wooster, Cuyahoga County, Portage County Stark County, Summit County, Wayne County, and Medina County.